Saturday, October 10, 2009

Drilling...

Replaced my front fender this afternoon. Planet Bike made good on their warranty and replaced a front fender after a metal flange failed for no apparent reason. As I was removing a bolt by the drop out on the left side of the fork, I managed to break off the top, leaving most of the shaft well embedded in the fork. After a run to the hardware store, I set to work with hardened drill bits and a bolt remover. The first bit worked well and I drilled out the bolt. Moments after inserting the bolt remover, it torqued off cleanly, flush with the newly drilled hole. AAARGH! Back to work with the hardened bits to drill things out, including the bolt remover! Then used standard bits to ream out the rest of the bolt. Thankfully, I managed to keep bits well centered and the bolt eventually shredded out leaving the original threads usable for a replacement bolt. Whew... Didn't get to putting on my studded tires. Those will wait till tomorrow. Yes, I know it seems early, but it did snow in late October last year and things seem much cooler up here this year.

2 comments:

contrazz said...

I never cease to be dismayed at the cheesiness of a lot of the hardware on bicycles. I've worked as a mechanic for most of my adult life. In my experience, bicycle bolts and screws break with less provocation than almost any other equipment I work on.

BikeWhenYouCan said...

I agree. Riding my bike throughout all kinds of weather probably doesn't help!