Sunday, December 5, 2010

On cold and snow.

There's an interesting little discussion on winter commuting over at BikeCommuters. I contributed a bit regarding why I use studded tires:
Anthony, I put mine on at the end of October to 1) get used to the extra rolling resistance and 2) be prepared for ice – can happen any time here. Big snow accumulation is not the issue. It’s the packed down light stuff – even small amounts – that turns intersections and blown snow/drifted areas into skating rinks. Then there’s freezing rain to face and, of course, pack melted or rutted and iced over snow. I’ve wiped out in all those circumstances from St. Louis, to Ann Arbor, to our small city in northern Indiana – all without studded tires. Since using studs two years ago I haven’t wiped out – at all. That means no injuries and no damage to my all-around bike. With these tires, I often feel more secure riding my bike in the winter than driving. This gives *me* peace of mind and has saved me $$ and pain (emo and physical). Safe riding to you, no matter what tires you ride on.

I currently am feeling way out of shape due to a challenging case of stomach flu followed by a very intense week of work. Really hoping to get on the bike and ride, despite the cold. Current forecast calls for snow and temps ranging from mid 20's to mid-teens. As I write, we're getting lake effect snow and freezing rain. Should be interesting riding!

On a positive note, I heard from a local recent reader that my post about Cli-Mitts was of use. My thanks him and others who inspired my return to the adventures of bicycle commuting. Now to get back on my bike and ride!

No comments: